Horse racing is not the most popular betting sport in the CIS. It is customary to bet on horse races in the UK, USA, Australia. Every day hundreds of races are held at racetracks around the world, and any bettor will find information on how to make money on horse races useful. We warn you right away that this sport is no less difficult to master than football, hockey or boxing: you will need to study the terminology, remember the types of bets, learn the features of the chosen horse, and much more.
Features of betting on horse racing
Horse racing is a noble sport with a rich history. Some bettors are completely in vain to always bypass them. One of the reasons why horse racing betting is worth considering is the frequency of the competition. Various disciplines (smooth races, hurdles) are held all year round and around the world. Thus, the bettor will not be limited in his choice of tournaments.
To understand how to make money on horse racing, you need to study the types of bets on this sport. It is a mistake to believe that you can only bet on the winning horse of a race. In horse races, you can try to predict who will be in the prizes, who will take the highest place in the race, and other bets. This is another reason for the popularity of horse racing – the bettor has a fairly wide range of markets in the line.
Types of bets
- Bet on the winner (win). The easiest option, which is usually chosen by beginners. There is one caveat: different bookmakers take into account the possible disqualification of a horse after the finish in different ways. Some bookmakers give a refund, others allow bets. Before you start betting, you should familiarize yourself with the rules of the office.
- Insurance bet. If your horse does not win, then the insurance bet will return you part or even the entire amount of the bet. Of course, the odds per bet with insurance will initially be low.
- Victory or prize place (each-way). This is a bet that the horse will either win or come in a winning position. If the horse comes in a prize place, you will receive 1/4 or 1/5 odds, depending on the conditions of the bookmaker. Experts advise making this bet on horses with odds of 8.00 or more. And if your choice wins, then you will receive both a payment for the victory and a piece for a prize place.
- Forecast. Bettor tries to guess the sequence at the finish line of two horses that will come running first and second. You can bet on their exact order at the finish (straight forecast) or choose a combined option (reverse forecast – a bet that horses will come first and second in any order).
- Triple forecast (tricast). Same as forecast, but with three horses. It can be exact or combined.
- Who is higher (head-to-head). You have to choose which of the two horses will be higher at the end of the race.
- Quiniela. The bet is made on 2 or 3 horses, and they must be included, respectively, among the first two or three at the end of the race (in any order).
These are the main and most common markets in horse racing betting. Bookmakers are constantly trying to diversify their line and surprise customers with new offers by combining bets. You can bet on the races both in single bets and in express bets.
Horse Racing Odds
Please note that horse racing odds change dynamically. There are the following types of quotes:
- AR – odds for long-term or preliminary bets;
- EP – the very first, “raw” quotes, which are set immediately after the formation of the list of the race (a couple of days before the start);
- Board Price – from the moment of withdrawal to the courtyard of the hippodrome and to the start of the competition;
- SP – quotes that are posted right before the start of the race.
How to make money on horse racing: increasing the chances
- Explore books and materials about horse racing. This sport is not so popular for betting in the CIS, but there is a lot of information and strategies on the Internet that increase the chances of success. Do not rely only on your ingenuity – as they say, it is never too late to learn, especially from a guru in horse racing betting. Carefully study the information about the author of the book or material – many “tips” are given in order for you to increase your loss.
- Learn to analyze the abilities of a particular horse. For example, for some horses, short distances (say, up to 1 km) are the crown. Accordingly, it makes no sense to bet on them in the 2.5 km race. Find out if the horse fell on hurdles in previous races, how often does not finish the distance.
- Every horse has a favorite surface, such as a treadmill or sticky ground. It is important to know how the horse will behave on the proposed track. Remember that an abrupt start of rain will turn the ground into mud. Examine how the selected horse behaved in similar conditions.
- Think about horse shape loops. You should study where and when the horse ran the previous race, in what conditions, how it finished, with whom it competed. Like humans, horses do not produce the same results all the time.
- It is important to consider where the horse came from, how much money the owners will receive based on the results of the races. If there is a chance of making a lot of money, the horse and jockey are likely to be of high quality and try to win the first prize. If the horse was brought from another country, obviously, its owners are counting on winning.
- Appreciate a horse and a jockey in the complex. It is important to know if this is the first race or have they previously performed in tandem? If you did, what places did you occupy? No matter how good a horse is, an inexperienced jockey can negate his talents, and vice versa.
Here are a few more simple rules to keep in mind for anyone looking to figure out how to make money from horse racing. The guidelines can be applied to all sports.
Analyze your bets, especially lost ones. Where did you go wrong? What nuances are you missing out on, because of what you are betting on the wrong horses? Determine on what types of bets you get the greatest winnings, in which races you have guessed the most bets. Work through these and other points.
- Manage your emotions. Horse racing betting is no less exciting than betting on football or tennis. Set a bet limit for yourself and end the game as soon as you get close to it. Excessive passion and desire to make money are fraught with sad consequences – for example, in the popular film Lucky Number Slevin with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman and Lucy Liu, all the troubles of the protagonist (Josh Hartnett) began in childhood due to his father’s passion for betting on horse racing.
- You shouldn’t dive into horse racing betting. If you start placing big bets in the hope of recouping, it will most likely lead to an even bigger fiasco.
How to make money on horse racing?
There is no single “recipe”. The main thing to remember is that everyone loses in horse racing bets, but only a few of the pros are able to control their fiascoes and compensate them competently.