In many copy-printing devices, the print history of the printer is stored in memory. To view or remove it, you need to use the instructions – depending on the make and model of the printer. The path may vary. The history of printed documents is also stored on the computer with which the office equipment is associated. But only if the function of recording printed files is activated on the PC itself. If you do not know how to connect the printer to your computer over the network, use our other material.
How to view and delete print history on Windows XP 7?
To start recording your printed document history, follow these steps:
- 1 Press [WIN]+[R] alternately or open a command prompt through [START].
- 2 Write the printui /s command and it will immediately open the print server.
- 3 In the tab [Advanced parameters] check the box next to the desired inscription.
After following the specified path, you can find a list of documents sent to the printer. Print history is saved in SHD or SPL resolutions. They can be “read” with the help of additional software. For example, SplViewer. Deletion of the history is carried out manually or using this application.
Note! This method works as long as the printer supports the appropriate function. Otherwise, the history of printing documents will be available only through additional accounting software. It must be installed and downloaded on your PC.
How to find out the print history of the printer on Windows 7, 8, 10?
The previous method is possible on the XP and 7 operating systems. The following method is possible on Windows 7, 8, and 10.
1. Go to [Control Panel]. Select View [Large Icons] to see all the control panel items. Find the [Administration] section and open it.
2. Locate the Event Viewer service. It stores not only Windows system messages but also program events of third-party applications. Follow [Application and Service Logs]–[Microsoft]–[Windows].
3. In the same branch, find the folder [PrintService]. It has two files. We are interested in the second. You can start the log, clear the history, find the desired document using the filter, and save the log by going to the properties. How to view printer print history: Double-click on the [Work] file. The contents of the file will open on the right side.
You can also view the history by searching for [View Event Log]. After that, it remains to go to the desired document and perform all the necessary operations.
Printer History: How to View With Third-Party Apps
Below is a list of programs. Download and install one of them to access the history of printed documents.
1. O&K Print Watch provides different types of reports to view statistics and print history on any object. The user can find out the number of printers to which the print was sent, the number of printed documents, the number of pages, the cost of printing, and much more.
2. PrintLimit Print Tracking allows you to control the number of local and network printers. In this case, the user does not need to know the printer’s IP address because the program does everything in automatic mode.
3. FollowMe is ideal for businesses that need to track print history and monitor user or team activity.
Such programs for monitoring printing can also be useful:
- Printer Monitor;
- JetAdvice 2.0;
Now you know how to delete, clear the printer’s print history. Before you look at what has been sent for printing, we recommend that you check the status of the printer and the toner level in the cartridges. Maybe it’s time to refill the cartridges. Many of the presented applications allow you to calculate the number of printing costs and calculate the cost of maintaining a fleet of printers.