When an MFP or printer is connected over a network, it does not mean that the printing equipment will properly execute all your commands. Regardless of the brand of office equipment, you can face a situation when the printer is turned off. What to do? First of all, do not despair because you can solve the problem. First, you need to understand the cause of the malfunction and then eliminate it.
What does the printer status mean to be “disabled”
You may have made the printer networked, but the console shows the printer status as “disabled,” which prevents you from printing the document from your computer. The OS informs the user that the device is not connected to the PC or connected to the network 220 B. Also, this situation may be accompanied by an error code 0xc0000005. If you find this message, we recommend that you uninstall the latest system update.
Note! If the printer is “disconnected,” it’s a good idea to check if the device is connected to the network. It would be best if you also double-checked the connection of printing equipment to the laptop / PC. One of the options for the “disabled” status may be that the computer does not see the printer. If this does not occur, then the printer’s status is “disabled” due to a failure in the system, one of the reasons why the printer does not work.
Why the computer says that the printer is turned off – Reasons
- the plug is not plugged into the outlet or power problems;
- The MFP is not associated with a PC/laptop;
- in the operation of the printing device of the network 220 B there were problems: the toner ran out, it is necessary to replace the drum or etc.;
- print service crashes
- offline operation of the printer is activated;
- software problems.
Try a trivial restart if you see that the printer is turned off even though it’s turned on. Restart the office equipment and the computer itself. Wait 2-3 minutes before turning it on. Also, disconnect and connect the USB cable.
At startup, the printing technician diagnoses the system to ensure that everything is ready to print the files. If you notice flashing lights, you need to “listen” to the requests for office equipment. The printer may be defective. The “off” status is due to a lack of toner or damage to the power supply.
Printer disabled – How to fix?
First of all, it is necessary to meet the needs of the printer:
- in the absence of toner or ink it is necessary to refill cartridges;
- if the toner is not fixed on paper, with a probability of 95% will need to replace the thermal film;
- diagnostics, repair or replacement of the power supply.
How can such defects affect the status of the printer? Low ink levels or wear and tear on the thermal film can cause the printer to lock. This is a special state of printing technology in which the technician refuses to execute the user’s commands until maintenance is performed. Do not forget to print a test page and check the level of wear of the drums. Maybe it’s time to restore the cartridge? If your network printer is disabled, even though it’s okay, it’s time to move on to troubleshooting software crashes and errors.
1. Click [WIN+R], enter control printersin the search box.
2. Find the desired printer and click PKM. In the list, open [View Queue …], then click [Printer]. Uncheck [ Pauseprinting] and [Offline work].
In 85% of cases, this helps to solve the problem with the inclusion of printing equipment. Within a few minutes, those documents that were in the queue will be sent for printing.
Printer disabled – How to enable in Windows 7, 8, 10?
Let’s proceed to consider system settings, errors, and failures. If the printer’s status is still “disabled,” it’s time to check the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), which is responsible for managing network equipment. In Windows 7, 10, the operating system detects problems with the printer through this protocol. If there is no answer, then the printer is “disabled” (HP, Canon, Xerox, Kyocera, etc. – the make and model do not affect the situation).
1. Open the [Run] window. To do this, click [Win+R] and type printmanagement.msc.
2. Go through the [Print Servers] – [Computer Name] – [Printers] branch.
3. Find the desired device and enter its properties.
4. In [Configure port], check the box next to [SNMP status is allowed].
After that, in Windows 7, 10, the network printer will “disabled” change its status to “Ready/Ready.” If the status has not changed and the printer printing is suspended, it makes sense to reinstall the software. To do this, you need to completely remove the printer drivers, go to the manufacturer’s official website, and download the software. The software should be suitable for your OS and printed office equipment model. More details on how to install printer drivers without a disk, we told in our other article.
Printer status “disabled” – Recommendations
1. Restart the service responsible for printing from your PC. In the “run” box, type services.msc. Locate [Print Spooler] and restart it.
2. Use the troubleshooter. Go to [Devices & Printers], select the desired one, and click PKM. Select [Troubleshooting].
3. If the drivers are not installed, there may be a conflict between them. To begin with, completely remove all the “firewood” that you have for the printer.
Remove the printer. Only after that try to change the status of office equipment again.
4. When the printer does not turn on, check for voltage in the outlets. If there is light, call the masters.
5. Stop the antivirus and firewalls. While you think why they write that the printer is disabled, the antivirus blocks SNMP traffic.
6. Use the Print-Spooler-Repair-Tool app to understand better why the printer is not working.
All of the above methods should help resolve the issue with the printer’s status “disabled.” If you find malfunctions in the work of printing equipment, do not try to repair it yourself. Entrust the repair of printers to real professionals. Master of the service will help you to resume printing quickly, inexpensively, and with a guarantee of quality. Details of cooperation can be clarified with the manager of the service center.