Floorball is a rapidly gaining popularity sport that is played in the hall with special plastic sticks and a light ball. It’s a safe, fast and fun hockey-like game, but the main difference is that players don’t need any protective gear, just a stick and a ball.
The game first appeared in the Swedish city of Gothenburg in the early 1970s. Originally, floorball was played in Swedish schools for fun, but as it developed, precise rules emerged and the first clubs were created.
This sport is rapidly developing and gaining popularity all over the world, the world floorball championships are held every two years: in even years for men, in odd years for women.
The International Floorball Federation (IFF) was founded in 1986 by Sweden, Finland and Switzerland and currently has 55 member countries. Floorball already has over 300,000 licensed players and 2 million amateur players.
The sport has received recognition from the International Olympic Committee and the IFF is working to ensure that floorball is added to the program of future Olympic Games.
Floorball is very different from ice hockey and ball hockey. Here are the main differences:
- A special light stick and ball are used;
- Much safer than other types of hockey;
- You don’t need any hockey skills to play;
- Physical combat between players is prohibited;
- There are no offsides, which increases the pace of the game;
- During a match, the stick must be kept below the waist at all times;
- Goalkeepers stay on their knees all the time, they don’t have a stick, and they hit back like goalkeepers in football.
Basic rules of the game
In official floorball competitions, teams play in a five-on-five format with goalkeepers similar to hockey, and the match consists of three 20-minute periods. This sport is extremely versatile. At the amateur level, it can be played with any number of players on a court of any size (indoor or outdoor) for any length of time.
In official competitions, the floorball court measures 20 meters by 40 meters. Its cover is usually made of heavy-duty plastic, composites or high-density foam with a height of 50 cm. The emphasis in the game is on speed and prowess, not on power fighting.
Here are the basic rules for floorball:
- The stick should always remain at knee level;
- No power tricks, you cannot beat your opponents with a stick;
- The opponent’s stick must not be lifted, pushed or hit;
- You can pass with your foot, but you cannot pass with your foot twice in a row;
- The ball must not be touched with hands or head;
- Jumping to intercept the ball is prohibited.
Features of floorball betting
And although this sport cannot be called one of the most popular, bets on it are accepted in many domestic bookmaker’s contractions. You can bet on the following events in floorball:
- One of the teams wins. In most cases, bets on the victory of one of the teams are accepted for regular time. In this sport, draws are possible, and they happen quite often.
- Handicap. Here everything is exactly the same as in bets on other sports: the stronger team goes with a negative handicap, the weaker one – with a plus. Thus, their chances are somewhat equalized.
- Total. Just like with the handicap, you can bet on the number of goals scored by both teams, or by each separately.
- Separate period. At major tournaments, you can bet not only on the entire match as a whole, but also on each of its periods separately.
- Long-term rates. Usually such bets are made long before the start of a major tournament and provide an opportunity to guess its winner.
How to increase your chances of success
Floorball betting is somewhat different from basketball, football or hockey betting. To maximize your chances of winning, you need to take into account the following nuances:
- Consider not only the total number of goals per game, but also goals scored and conceded in unequal squads;
- Floorball clubs do not have as many matches during the season as teams from the top soccer, ice hockey or basketball championships;
- The goalkeeper position in floorball is much more important than all the others, be sure to monitor the state of the goalkeepers of both teams before the match;
- There are more weak teams among women’s teams than among men, the performance in women’s floorball is lower;
- In the first period, according to the statistics, the teams score the least number of goals, in the last period – the most;
- In the playoffs, the teams’ performance is reduced compared to the group stage;
- In some competitions, the number of periods can be reduced to 2, and their duration to 15 minutes;
- Between rounds in championships, teams take more than a week to rest, during which time the situation in the teams can change dramatically.
In conclusion, I would like to say that you can bet on this sport, but for this you need to prepare especially carefully for each match. Due to the small amount of information in Russian, you will have to constantly research the local media. Since bookmakers do not analyze floorball matches as thoroughly as more popular sports, with the proper level of training, you will have an excellent opportunity to catch profitable odds and make money on it. Good luck with your bets!